A Year After My Close Encounters with Deftones

L-R: Carpenter; Vega; Moreno; Delgado and Cunningham


(Below were the details of my experience watching and meeting one of the best bands in the world: Deftones a year ago, Feb 12 & 16, 2011)




“Hey, your band was the most relevant band that came out from the late 90's” I said.

“Wow, thanks man. I really appreciate it” replied by a stunned Abe Cunningham.


Its been a year after I've watched and met Deftones! I can still say it is still lingering in my head! It was and is still the most important music event in my life!

I am a Deftones fan since their album Around the Fur around 97. I was not a fan yet until I saw the video of My Own Summer on MTV. Holy Shit. The next day I bought the cassette tape and blast it on my stereo. I bought also the Around the Fur Mic Shirt at Top 40 Apparel because of my fascination with the band.


(Check my previous post about Deftones)

Fast-forward.

Suggesting to the organizers that Deftones are in Australia and will be a good follow up concert from NIN was a brillant idea. That was last October 2010. Sadly, I was not part of the process because of the work load from office. So I need to find a way to have my memorabilia signed. I was able to get hold of the Manila VIP ticket for P5000 a month before the concert and was surprised that I was able to buy a discounted concert ticket for the Singapore leg for only S$49, around P1600 when converted to peso – and good about it was there were no sections at all, Awesome!


Manila Concert Poster



The Manila concert last February 12, 2011 kept me singing all night long with all the 25 songs they had given to the crowd! It was an awesome night to remember. The crowd did have a good time moshing and singing along with Chino. Everybody who watched the show said it was the best concert of their lives. I definitely agree. (Second was Nine Inch Nails and 3rd was my Chemical Brothers experience!). I was able to start the concert, saw that Chino was getting the crowd involved. It was amazing. The vibe was all good! The “Passenger SF Cap incident" was a highlight. But the Encore was the real highlight! Chino went to the crowd and went to the Silver section Area and sang 7 Words with the crowd. All went nuts! I was able to grab his arm then. (First time to grab a rock star! LOL). Then the concert was done. I was not able meet the band because of tight security and I was so tired from work but all were paid off with the best concert ever! To tell you frankly, I was not expecting a great show from them based from old clippings from their concerts and Chino deviating his singing. I knew they were good live on most television talk show guestings that I have viewed but I was wrong. Chi's accident made them concentrate more on their craft and I didn't know that Chino was already back into form, vocally and physically. For all these years I solely relied on their CDs and Mp3s. I only watched a handful of their old live performances on the net and the Live in Hawaii DVD. I was not able to find time to watch their new concerts uploaded on youtube. I was really wrong. They were really good. The Manila concert was a blow straight to my heart, my mind and to my face!

Signed Manila Concert Ticket

I have all of their CDs (Adrenaline, Around the Fur, White Pony, Deftones Self-titled, B-Sides and Rarities, Saturday Night Wrist, and Diamond Eyes plus cassette tapes of Around the Fur and White Pony). I also got compilation album tributes for Depeche Mode and Duran Duran plus OST for the Crow and the Matrix. And I really wanted to have them signed it. So the best thing to do is to get hold of them in their Singapore leg. 


Chino Moreno Signed Singapore Concert Flyer


Signed Singapore Concert Ticket




So came February 16, 4PM. I was the 12th man in the line outside the venue. Then one of the organizers have the people in the line to count into ten. Then he told us that the first ten people are the ones going to meet Deftones for a meet and greet! Jesus Christ! I got my magazines out and CDs and told the organizers that I really wanted to meet them. But I got denied. Damn! So what I did: I ate my dinner early instead: rice and some veggies. A guy in the line said was wise to bring food/dinner. The venue was isolated from any food store. Some were kind to pass around junk food to everyone. The band did some sound check and greeted the people in the line. So around 8PM, we were allowed to enter the venue. There was no front act band. The crowd was quite small compared to Manila (like 1/4) but still wild. I was in front and I was part of the mosh. I was able to get out from it because the crowd was somewhat pinning to each other and jumping around (I was on a safe part of the VIP section way back in Manila). Like what I said, there was no ticket sections in the Singapore leg so it was fun. I saw Rob Schneider watching from a distance but was not able to approach him. (He had a comedy tour/show in Singapore days after). Deftones performed 24 songs and Chino was somewhat pissed off with the sound system malfunctioning on that night.

So after they took off the stage, I immediately went to the back stage. While I was walking down the street, I was able to meet Sergio Vega and I asked him to sign my CDs and have a photo with him in which he obliged.





“Thank you for representing Chi on the bass. Great concert by the way. Watched your concert too in Manila.”

“It was an honor to play bass for Chi and the band. Thank you for watching the concerts” he replied.


with Sergio


The next one was Stephen Carpenter. He looked like a happy go lucky guy or a mad man all-in-one but was kind enough to entertain a photo opt with me. I apologized for having all the CDs and memorabilias signed. He said there was no need for apologizing and they should be the one apologizing because I bought all of their CDs and he appreciated it. Next was Frank and was amazed with all the CDs that I have. He was asking where did I get the blank and white solo pictures of them. He can't remember where it was used. Abe said that it was for an “Italian or French magazine shoot.” Next was Abe but he said that he will be back after 30 minutes to accompany Frank for a smoke. They just need to change clothes. I asked where was Chino and he said he was already inside the hotel and he was the first one who went out from the venue. So Abe and Frank went up in the hotel. And I was left with Stephen. He was helping their roadies on packing up their gear. I asked him for a brief video message for their Filipino fans. Then he gave some message about cleaning up Manila. I thanked him but got mixed reaction on his comments. I was laughing about it but I was somewhat struck out because it was true. See the video:







Then Stephen got a small chit chat with some local teenagers. I took again some pictures with him then he went up. All of the teenagers were gone and I was the only one left.


with Stephen


Then after a few minutes Abe and Frank were back.

I told them “It's me again!

“Hey Buddy!” Abe said.

“Hey, your band was the most relevant band that came out from the late 90's” I said.

“Wow, thanks man. I really appreciate it” Abe replied.

Under The Carillon Bells: “So how are you with Korn?”

Abe Cunningham: “Korn Who?” (Laughing)

UTCB: “Are you not friends with Korn? Even if Chino was a guest vocalist on one of their songs?

AC: “Hmmm...Not that close”

(That kept me thinking why Deftones was not part of the Family Values Tour of Korn)
(Re-checked that they were part of the 2006 tour but I was able to check some old feud about the two bands:  http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1473403/korns-singer-calls-deftones-vocalist-bitter.jhtml)

UTCB: “So how was the Manila experience?”

AC: “We really enjoyed it. It was fun!”

UTCB: “Its the best concert I've been too. I was in the VIP section.

AC: “Really? We thought it was only one section for all. I learned later that it had sections. In the US, there are no sections for non arena concerts.”

Frank Delgado: “So you're a Filipino. We have many Filipino hommies back in California. Schoolmates , skateboard buddies...

AC: “Yes we have so many Filipino friends in the community.”

UTCB: “So you know some Filipino words?”

Frank Delgado: “Yeah, like “Putang ina” (Laughs). The first words you'll know on a foreign language are the bad ones right? Hahaha.


UTCB: “Wow you pronounced it right! And you are totally correct! Can I take a video of you saying that again?”

FD: “Hahaha. No man. It would be disrespectful.”

UTCB: “So you like Filipino food?”

FD: “Yup! Mexicans and Filipinos do have many in common. We love to cook and eat. Filipinos do love to cook and eat. There were always parties in the neighborhood.”

AC: “I actually want a Jeepney and drive it around Sacramento!”

UTCB: “A pimped out Jeepney?”

AC: “I think the Jeepney is already pimped out, right? I know it was a customized World War II army jeep made long and colorful. I saw one in California and I said to myself I need to have one!”

UTCB: “Wow cool! You'll get one someday...Let's talk about your music influences. I believe you guys were influenced by Helmet?”

AC: “That's right! Actually we have many influences. On the East side, its Helmet. And on the West coast. its Death Angel. And those guys in Death Angel are Filipinos! Those guys are the reasons why I am in a band right now.

UTCB: “Cool! I believe they will be in Manila this year for another concert.”

AC: “Tell them we met you here in Singapore.”

UTCB: “Sure! FYI Rob Schnieder watched you guys earlier.”

AC: “The funny man is here?!”

UTCB: “He is here. He has a stand up comedy show 2 days from now. And he is half Filipino.”

AC: “Thats great!”

UTCB: “So what other bands do you dig or listen to?”

FD: “Actually I listen to all music!”

UTCB: “Even boybands and Justin Bieber or Katie Perry?”

FD: “Haha. Even boybands! The Beatles is considered a boyband, right? It's more of labeling music. We love all good music. As long as it is good, its okay.”

UTCB: “True.”

AC: “Katie Perry? Everything is big on Katie Perry. She has big boobs, big butt and she got a big mouth! Haha” (emphasizing his chest and butt)

All the three of us laughed.

AC: “We just saw her a few weeks ago in a studio.”

UTCB: “Katy Perry had concerts here in Singapore and Manila last year....Anyways, I believe you guys are also into new wave stuff, 80's music?”

FD: “Yes, I love the Clash. They kept on evolving and I really love their songs.”

UTCB: “Punk! I love their song “Lost in the Supermarket.” Well, have you guys met Morrissey?”

AC: “Not yet.”

They ordered some bottle of wine and pack of cigarettes from the butler. Only 2 wine glasses were given. Abe had the two glasses full then gave the whole bottle to me.

AC: “Drink it. Its all yours!”

UTCB: “Thanks man!”

UTCB: “Can you tell what its like to meet Robert Smith and the rest of the Cure?”

AC: “It was awesome experience and nervous at the same time. Before the MTV tribute show, we were rehearsing the song "If Only Tonight We Could Sleep." But we went first to the comfort room. Thats where we first met Robert while he was putting his make up on. We were starstruck then. And we were very nervous playing their song while they were watching us in the rehearsal (Laughs)”

FD: “Trivia: There were some technical problems when we were playing the song live. There was no sounds coming out from my keyboard. So what MTV did was they overlapped the audio from the rehearsal sessions into the show audio for the final cut.”

UTCB: “Clever. Do you listen to new bands right now?”

AC: “Yes we do”

UTCB: “Are you friends with Glassjaw?”

AC: “Yes. we know them. They are cool. Actually we invited them to be part of our concert tours as our opening act.”

UTCB: “That's nice.”

AC: “I think they have an new album out.”

UTCB: “I'll check 'em out.” “I am digging shoegaze music like My Bloody Valentine, Pale Saints and recently M83, etc. Do you also check out these genres?”

FD: “Yes we do. Chino also digs some indie music stuff and shoegaze as well. Actually M83 did remix one of our new songs: Rocketskates.”

UTCB: “Cool! BTW, I watched Igor Cavalera last year with his new band Mixhell (electronica duo with his wife) and they have these mad electronica beats plus live drumming. Heard of their new stuff?”

FD: “Yes, I am trying to check if we can have one of our songs remixed by them hopefully. I told Sergio to listen to these music I was listening to instead of those shit music stuff. (Laughs).

(Sergio's look reminds me of Pat Smear of the Foo Fighters)

UTCB: “I noticed in the Manila concert and just a while ago before hopping the stage that a handful of music were played consisting of Sepultura's Biotech is Godzilla, then a song sounding like Portishead and Dr. Dre's Next Episode. Who's music player are they playing?

FD: “It's all the music that we liked. We have them play it before the gig so we can get pumped up. I like you man. You have good knowledge in music”

UTCB: “Thanks man! Just a music lover who worked on Tower.

FD: “Wow, I worked at Tower Records too. Chino also worked at Tower in Sacramento.

UTCB: Great! We really do got something in common. What can you say about Mp3 downloading?”

FD: “To tell you, we don't earn anymore on CDs or on retail because everybody is already downloading music from the internet. Tower got bankrupt. Record companies merging. In the 90's we benefited big from CD sales. But now, we concentrate on tours/ concerts. Our concern right now is the schedule of bands playing on a certain area. Its like we have a schedule on this place then we will find out later that Disturbed got a schedule days before the date of our concert. So kids would end up short of money, not going to our concert. These events break the population of who will go to our concert or to the other one. It is one of our problems.

UTCB: “We are not yet experiencing back to back concerts yet in the Philippines but we are having a lot of concerts lined for the year. Anthrax will have a concert in the Philippines alongside Death Angel and Hellyeah.

FD: “Thats cool.”

AC: “Can I have a little more wine?

UTCB: “I already drank on it. Is it okay?”

AC: “No problem man”

He had a little on the glass. Cowboy indeed! 


with DJ Frank and Abe

UTCB: “Last year, my band played on a concert that I organized and we decided to play your cover on the Smith's “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want and Hum's “Stars.”

AC: “Really? Cool!”

UTCB: “Actually we repeated the song just to make it long. (Laughs). Are you considering to insert cover songs on your concert playlists?

FD: “Yes we are considering them. You know what, we are already in the final mixes of the Covers album.”

AC: “Do you want to hear some new songs?”

UTCB: “Sure!”

AC: “Oh. I left my cellphone/player in my room.”

UTCB: “Its okay. I'll just wait when its already out....BTW my favorite album is White Pony. And my favorite song is Street Carp. Was it released as a single? It has a music video but it was not part of the DVD videos from the B-Side and Rarities?

FD: “It was part of the promotional videos for White Pony named EPK or Electronic Press Kit. You can find it in the internet.”

UTCB: “Cool. I will do that later at home. So how was it to have Madonna as your boss?”

FD: “She is cool.”

AC: “Yep very cool.”

UTCB: “Guys, I do have a blog and would it be okay to get a video of you guys greeting Manila?”

AC: “No Prob.”

Check the video below:







FD: “Whats the time?”

AC: “Its already past 3AM. We need to wake up by 6AM and be in the airport around 7AM.

Frank embraced me and told me it was nice chatting with me.

Then Abe embraced me also then suddenly kissed me in the right cheek and smiled.

FD: “Abe! What the fuck man. He is a dude!”

AC: “I know” (laughing) “It was good talking to you.”

Abe???!! Hahaha. Yes, I am a dude. What a way to end the night. Funny guy. Hahaha.

I tried to stay a couple of hours recalling what we had talked about. Got some company from the butlers. A few lit and some. Drank some coffee.

Then I saw the roadies carrying their baggages outside the hotel. I asked if Chino was up. He said that they were already taking their breakfast. He saw the memorabilias I have on my hand. Then he said that he wont be signing all those stuff because there were so many.

Well, I still persisted.

A few minutes then, Stephen Carpenter went out of the hotel and quickly recognizes me.

SC: “How are you?”

UTCB: “Just waiting for Chino.”

SC: “He will be out in a while.”

UTCB: “Thanks! I just hanged out with Abe and Frank. Drank some wine and talked about anything. Question: Do you pronouce it 'Eyb' or A-be”

SC: (Laughs) Its pronouced as 'Eyb'. If we want to pissed him off, we call him A-be. (Laughs) And everybody is calling me 'Stee-feen' but my name is 'Stef fen'.”

UTCB: “Oh, Thank you for correcting the names.”

SC: “No worries man.”

Then Stephen looked at the hotel door. “Its Chino.”

I thanked Stephen, immediately approached Chino, introduced myself and told him that I came all the way from Manila to watch them twice.

Chino Moreno: “Really? We had a blast playing in Manila. We didn't know we have a good following there. I love to go back there. Thank you man for watching us here.”

I handed him all the CD inlays, pics, postcard, concert teasers, magazines, DVD inlays and he was happy to sign them all.

CM: “You got a nice collection here. You still got those cassette tape inlays. Cool.”

UTCB: “There was a technical problem in the concert yesterday. Was it the reason you left off early? Got pissed?”

CM: “Nope. Its all good. I just needed to rest.”

Then the roadies looked at us and it seems they are ready to go.

Stephen Carpenter: “Have a safe trip back to Manila man!”

UTCB: “Thank you very much!”

Then I almost forgot to have a video message from Chino.

UTCB: “Chino, can I get a video message from you for all your Filipino fans?”

CM: “Sure”

Check the video below:






Then he was approached by their roadie. I asked for a photo and he still obliged. (So cool!) And he went into the van. I thanked again Chino and Stephen thru the van window and they went off.


with Chino
It was a surreal experience. Two hours of drinking sessions with Abe and Frank. Cool moments with Steph. Got some limited time with Chino but it was still worth it! I never thought that they were so approachable. There was no rockstar complex at all. I wish Chi was present. It topped all the concerts I've been to and they surpassed my expectations for all the rock bands I've met. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila

Deftones - To Have and to Hold