NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Since JaeDee removed her article from her blog, most likely because NU107 Execs want her lips sealed, I will repost her article for the viewing public...


News Goose’s Final Report: NU107 is Closing Down!



7 Votes

jaeDee the NewsGoose of NU107 from the 90's to the early 2000'sUPDATE:
Good morning guys! This is jaeDee the NewsGoose with some shocking news for rock fans in Metro Manila…
The one and only rock station in town – NU107, The Home of NU Rock – will soon be the Home of NO ROCK!
That’s right, I’ve received information from three reliable sources, all part of NU107′s inner circle, that the radio station will finally say goodbye to it’s rock image and shift to a ‘masa’ pop sound under new management.
The reason for the image change was reportedly a financial decision on the owners’ part.
The transformation won’t be overnight though.
According to one of my sources, starting this November the NU107 jocks will start slipping in music that will assail the senses any decent rocker.
By January 2010 2011, my source claims, the transformation will be complete and so will be the demise of NU107 The Home of New Rock.
So I guess this is going to be the News Goose’s last report.
I’m not too sad though… it’ll take more than just the closure of one rock station to stop Manila’s rock community from moving on!
Long live the Rock and Roll lifestyle!!!
This is jaeDee the News Goose, for one last time…
…signing off…

The NU 107 Family at one of the Rock Awards! Front Row L-R Sam, Ron T, Zach, Pontri, Quark. Back Row - Atom, Katz, Roxy, Karla, Joey, Myrene, Tabitha, Jelly Jean and jaeDee (me!)
Not many people know this, but I spent 10 years of my life as a rebellious rock chick named jaeDee. I still am a rock fan but the word rebellious has been etched out of my life. Those 10 years at NU107, I spent as the News Goose – the morning newscaster (sometimes pm). The highlights of that decade include: headbanging to Pearl Jam when they performed live in the Folk Arts Theater; hanging out with Bush’s Gavin Rossdale while he showed me a wallet-photo of his dogsitting next to Leigh Nash, singer of Sixpence None the Richer so close that I could see the light downy hair on her porcelain skininterviewing POD in a posh hotel room, just them and me for 30 minutes, and listening to Matt Scannel call me sweetheart during a phone interview…
Other memories tumbling out of my head: seeing my name in the credits of the first two Eraserheads albums; watching one of Wolfgang’s earliest gigs at Weekends Live way before they became famous; chatting with rock legend Joey Pepe Smith who fascinates me to no end; witnessing rock fans accept FrancisM’s brand of music; nearly being stoned to death at the Rock Awards when my co-presentor Diether Ocampo yelled, “Mga jologs kayoooo!” on the mic…
Sigh… just so many wonderful stories to share…
Then there were my favorite NU107 DJs and family members who were too cool I’d have goosebumps when they were around. If I could give them all Rock Awards, this is what they’d get:
Joey: I would watch you board and be so amazed at how you could talk forever! You were hilarious and laughed like the most engaging hyena I have ever seen. You win the NU107  Best Radio Talk Show Host!
Zach: Roly, you are a crazy DJ and an even crazier radio plug producer! I will surely miss that Mexican accent of yours but will be willing to forget that time you tried to show all of us something in the bathroom! The NU107 Rock Award for Best Radio Plug Producer goes to you!
Samu: I still have the book you gave me long time ago. I forgot if it was a Christmas or Bday gift but it’s in my library to this day. Thanks for being such a loyal PA to Zach and Joey in the morning, what would they have done without you answering the phones and taking care of guests?!!!  And because you always went to work dressed like it was Rock Awards night, you get the NU107 Rock Award for Fashionista of the Year!
Myrene: I used to be so afraid of you kasi naman you were like the coolest sounding jock in the lot! I know I tried your patience so many times with my brattiness and bad attitude but you saw me change and you gave me a chance. You deserve a Rock Award for Best Rock Music Programming!
Claire: you were the very first person who trained me for newscasting! I remember how we’d all be in awe of your sexy voice that would send vibrations through the table in the booth when you would talk on the air. You win the NU107 Female Voice of the Year.
Pontri: remember when I had that emotional fit in the booth? Then right after that fit I did the news like I was normal? So sorry for shocking you with that, but I thank you for being a friend and always selling whey muscle building protein to me at a discount. You win the NU107 Male Sexy Body of the Year!
Quark: you should have taken NU107 away from your Dad. Eh di me rock station pa tayo hanggang ngayon! I will miss NOT Radio and your quirky quarky self on the air. I bestow upon you the NU107 Rock Award for Best Director.
Ron T: you were my boss at NU107 AND my hubby at the same time. Claire calls us mutants because we somehow get along quite well at work even if we are married. If we are mutants then you are Wolverine and I am Jane Grey except in our storyline we end up together. Thanks for showing us the non-payola way of life as broadcasters. And because you always sound like a movie trailer when you speak, you win the NU107 Rock Award for Male Voice of the Year!
Roxy: You had the toughest voice and the sexiest body out of all the jocks! I totally love all your Pantene commercials, hanep! You win the NU107 Female Sexy Body of the Year!
Jelly Jean: Wow, you were another voice that I loved. Soft na may edge. And while you always were super simple at work, you would suddenly turn around and be this gorgeous vixen during the Rock Awards. I give you the NU107 Rock Award for Female Best DJ…
Karla Bonita: Golly, remember all the training in newscasting that we did? You were a great apprentice and did justice to the PM news. Now you’re rocking in the world of the SM group of companies – galing! You get the NU107 Rock Award for Corporate Rocker Chick of the Year!
Katz: The first time I saw you was at Araneta Coliseum during the Santana concert. You looked so cool and so distant and I never ever dreamed that we’d be good friends one day. Since your from radio blood, maybe you should open the next Rock Station in Manila? And your award is – The NU107  Best in Radio Sales and Marketing!
Apa: I also always thought that you were so suplado before you joined NU107. But I discovered that under that hard-to-reach mestizo veneer was big teddy bear waiting to be hugged. You win the NU107 Rock Award for Hottest Ex-Bachelor of the Year!
Tabitha: You are like a sister to me. You brought so much color to our NU107 Davao times… and then when you moved to Manila, you blew us away with your awesome personality. Here is your award: The NU107 Rock Award for Best Live Host…
Charlie Y: Thanks for being like a Daddy… I mean Brother to me when I was new at NU, hehehehe…  I always thought it was so cool that you were a jock AND a singer for a rock band. I give you the NU107 Rock Award for Male Best DJ Award but since you arrived late you’ll have to pick it up your trophy at the station! Joke lang Charlie ha, I love you, hug hug hug!
Francis Brew: You will always be the cooooolest man on the NU107 planet. You eat, live and breath rock music. And you are occasionally found on Edsa Billboards! You deserve the NU107 Rock Award for Hottest Rocker Alive!
Mike Pedero: Mike! Thanks for all the newscasting tips. And thanks for staying close to me and Ron all these years – I always enjoy our lightning get-togethers. You will always be THE NUMBER ONE Sound Man in the Philippines! You win the NU107 Rock Award for Best Sound Engineering!
Atom Henares: Hello Atom, although I am sad that you have decided to hang up the gloves, I will always be thankful for the 20 plus years that you allowed us to play the music we loved best. And for letting the jocks have a free hand in creating and building NU107! For that you deserve the NU107 Hall of Fame Award!!!
If I forgot someone, please leave a note in the comments section and the award you think they deserve!!!

An even older shot of my NU107 Family, I miss you all!


4 bloggers like this post

261 Responses

  1. I’m shocked but I can’t say I didn’t see it coming. I’m surprised NU lived as long as it did! Can’t help but wonder what will happen now to Kiko and Pontri, the only two left from eons ago. I seriously doubt they’ll go Pop. . . Pontri might but Kiko?
    I don’t think anyone else will ever take NU 107′s place. This year’s Rock Awards will surely be a big deal. Speaking of, I wonder where we can get a hold of old footage of us. Someone upload them to YouTube!
    Love,
    Your Friend Who Can Talk Forever Who Laughs Like a Hyena
    • on October 24, 2010 at 2:51 pm | Replyadventuresofabeautyqueen
      From what I know, everyone except two technicians will stay. Yes, this year’s Rock Award will be uber special but unfortunately Ron and I are out of town so we can’t go. But maybe that’s for the best because I know for sure that I’ll be crying all night… Kiko will always have his career with the Dawn and Pontri has his gorgeous body to depend on :)
      Yes someone upload old footage of us on Youtube PLEASE!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila

I Eat, Live and Breathe the Music of Deftones!