Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila







Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila
August 3, 2002
Rockwell Club Tent.

The Lotus Eaters: Jeremy Kelly and Peter Coyle / Early Years
I was trying to recall all the concerts I have attended for the last few years. Being gulity on not attending the following concerts here in Manila: Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Cranberries, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth and Foo Fighters, I need to start my blood thirst concert viewing ASAP!

One of those memorable concerts that I attended to was the concert of the 80's new wave band: The Lotus Eaters. This would be my first foreign artist concert I watched here in Manila and the first new wave band I saw live in the Philippine shores. I was aware of the band since the late 80's because of their songs were played on cassette tapes and vinyl by my elder brother and sister. Their songs were also in heavy rotation on the radio station 89 DMZ. There were only 3 Lotus Eaters song I knew of: "The First Picture of You","It Hurts" and "German Girl."
My interest in their songs where renewed when I got hold of a CD copy of their best of album (released 1998) from my college friend and Morrissey Philippine Number 1 fan Ian Cruz (take your bow Mozman!!!)

The Lotus Eaters complete band line up: (L-R) Stephen Emmer; Peter Coyle; Steve Creese; Michael Dempsey (formerly of the Cure); Jeremy Kelly (Wild Swans)



August 3, 2002: Got my concert ticket courtesy of my sister and her friend Sharon. In return, I need to treat them at Mcdonalds after the concert.  Ate Sharon gave us a ride with her car from the dirty south to the "in" place then called Rockwell. I was quite curious why they have an open air venue for a foreign artist, also knowing that Rockwell Tent was not known for concerts. We arrived just in time but choose to sit on the right side infront of the stage. I saw rock radio couple Joyce Ann Burton and Ron Titular of NU107 in attendance of the concert and was able to greet them.

New Order song named 90's local band “True Faith” was the opening act for the night. Lead vocalist Medwin Marfil tried to mimic Jamiroquai with his obvious dance moves while performing with his band (I believe Jamiroquai was on heavy rotation on the radio at that time with Little L, Lovefoolosphy, etc.)

After a few songs from True Faith, members of the band Rivermaya (the 3rd generation Rivermaya "Umaaraw-Umuulan" days with Rico Blanco still part of the band) went up to the stage. I thought they were also going to perform. Whoa! Peter Coyle and Jeremy Kelly went up to the stage and performed with the band!

Reunion Days, 2002 onwards


Funny, while recalling this concert in the bottom of my head, some local Lotus Eater fan named “CloakandDhagger” just uploaded the lost Lotus Eaters Live in Manila concert videos in youtube just wayback July this year (2010). Coincidence, er?


First song they played was their first UK pop chart hit “First Picture of You.”


Second song was “German Girl.”





I already forgot the concert set list but they sang “It Hurts” and “Out on your Own”





The crowd got quiet when they sang unfamiliar songs but went alive again when they sang “First Picture of You” and “German Girl” for the second time as their encore.

Too bad I was not aware that they had an in-store performance at O-Music Record Bar in Rockwell the day before.

Kindly check out the following videos from their instore performance:

"First Picture of You"



"It Hurts"



"Can Your Kisses Fly"



It was a happy concert, reliving the 80's child in me. The Lotus Eaters didn't fail our expectations and the band was able to deliver that night. Evidence was the wild crowd screaming when they sang their hit songs. I thought the night will not end with another request of "German Girl" and "The First Picture of You."

Of course, the night ended up ordering cheese burger meals for my sister and Ate Sharon. 

I was hoping for more new wave bands to come here in Manila for the next years before they retire from the music scene or succumbed to oblivion!   

Comments

  1. Great blog article. I was there too--both at Q and the main gig in Rockwell.

    TLE remains to be the number-one New Wave band on my long list.

    aLfie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my shout/voice "It hurts" in the video of that song.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

I Eat, Live and Breathe the Music of Deftones!