I Eat, Live and Breathe the Music of Deftones!


Deftones makes me feel like more!!! I eat, live and breathe the music of Deftones!!!

Deftones L-R: Stephen Carpenter (guitar), Sergio Vega (bass), Chino Moreno (vocals), Frank Delgado (DJ) and  Abe Cunningham  (Drums)
 

Since I discovered their music in my high school days here in Manila, the emergence of nu metal and the release of their sophomore effort “Around the Fur,” my interest to the band grew! Besides their metal influence, I was also amazed that they have 80’s new wave music inclinations too.

I bought my “Around the Fur” cassette tape as a Christmas gift to myself last '97 and played it until I was able to play in my guitar the songs “My Own Summer.” I and my friends also jammed the songs “Around the Fur” and “Be Quiet and Drive.”  It is one of the albums that accompanied me on those sleepless nights and examination reviews.



Around the Fur Cassette Tape



White Pony cassette
Then in college, the album “White Pony” came out and I immediately bought a cassette tape. I did instantly fell in love with its melodic dynamics! Deftones never failed to follow up “Around the Fur.” The New wave influence was pretty evident on this record.  I bought another copy (cassette) because of the reissue for "Mini Maggit Back to School" single. Then I worked as part time student in a coffee shop so I can buy Compact Disc versions of the albums. I was able to buy “Adrenaline” “Around the Fur” and “White Pony” CDs with my savings plus a Deftones T-shirt!  “Adrenaline” indeed stood up with its title and was a mad album! Discovering "7 Words" "Root" and "Bored" on the first album was worth it.

Adrenaline CD




Around the Fur CD

White Pony CD

Deftones Self titled CD


After college, I worked at Tower Records and was able to get the self-titled album "Deftones" after its release, which brought us the epic "Minerva" and pounding "Hexagram". I also bought soundtracks of the "Matrix" "The Crow" and "Little Nicky" because of Deftones. Also got the tribute albums for Depeche Mode (covering "To Have and to Hold") and Duran Duran ("Chauffeur") because of them.




Litte Nicky OST CD
Matrix OST cassette


The Crow OST cassette

Duran Duran Tribute - cassette
Depeche Mode tribute CD


Saturday Night Wrist CD




Then after almost 2 years of waiting for the local release of “Saturday Night Wrist,” I was able to obtain one from a specialty bookstore. The album was like an extension of "White Pony." The song "Hole in the Earth" reflected the love/hate situation status of the band: Chino vs the rest. 

Amidst the tension inside the band, I was very happy to find their cover album "B- Sides and Rarities" few months later. The album showcased that they are the best 80's cover band in the world!!! Then the news about Chi came and was then always updating myself about his condition and any band updates. I knew that the band was on the verge of breaking up before Chi's incident and they converted the situation as driving motivation for them to continue on as a unit so I really admired the band for that.

B-Sides and Rarities CD
Diamond Eyes CD

Deftones Diamond Eyes Tour Manila Poster

When I’ve learned that Deftones has an Australian tour late last year in support of their current album "Diamond Eyes", I suggested to an organizer the idea of bringing Deftones in Manila. And Ka-Boom! It happened. Last Feb 12, 2011, the day I was waiting for! Deftones live in Manila! Even though I was not able to be part of the organizers because of my busy day time job, I bought 2 tickets, one for the Manila gig and the other one for the Singapore gig.  I could have died on the concert day itself. I sang my heart out! All solid 25 songs from Deftones in Manila. I was not able to meet them in Manila but made it sure I’ll be able to meet them in Singapore! And I did! I was able to have all my memorabilia signed and got to hang out/ drinking session with DJ Frank and Abe! Bunch of good guys! No rock and roll big head ego at all!!!
with Stephen
with Sergio
with Chino
 
with DJ Frank and Abe


Lets go straight to the point: Deftones' music is like a big jukebox for your music appetite: If you are mad: listen to “7 Words”; If you want it loud: “Head up”; If you want it classical: “Anniversary of An Uninteresting Event”; Your wake up song: “Good Morning Beautiful”; Driving song: “Be Quiet and Drive”; Lounge music: “Teenager”; If you want to have that champion feeling: listen to the Grammy award winning song “Elite”; if you want to have an amok type of fun: “Knife Party” and the list go on.

Chi Cheng - We are hoping for your speedy recovery!!!

And to sum things up: Deftones is like a box of chocolates -  You never know what you're gonna get - once you played their songs fresh from the music store/ or when you personally meet them!!! Indeed, Deftones is a big part of my music life that I will forever treasure!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila