Who's your Daddy? The Zombies live in Manila!!!


The Zombies: Jim, Colin, Rod, Steve and Tom (Philippine Concert Poster)
What's your name? 
Who's your daddy? 
Is he rich like me? 


For almost 3 years, I thought that the song “Time of the Season” was a song by The Byrds, as part of the mixtape done by Travis Barker (Blink 182) and DJ AM (Crazy Town) in which was in heavy rotation on my Ipod. And two months ago, I was just enlightened that it was the English band The Zombies, who created that song! (The Byrds song is Turn, Turn, Turn and I got it all mixed up.)

Colin Blunstone

Last Oct 19, 2012, a piece of music history unfolded in front of my eyes and fulfilled my ears with joy as I witnessed The Zombies performed live here in the Philippines at the PICC Hall in Pasay City!
Colin Blunstone

The original members of the Zombies: Colin Blunstone on vocals and Rod Argent on keyboards were accompanied by this talented line up: Jim Rodford on bass (The Kinks founding member, also played for the Animals), his son Steve Rodford on drums and Tom Toomey on guitars.
Colin Blunstone

They jump started the show with one of their hits: “Sticks and Stones” and the crowd was pumped up. I was surprised that they played “You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me” in which I was accustomed with the Beatles version. I just learned that it was a Smokey Robinson original.
Colin Blunstone

Colin Blunstone said that they first played in the Philippines last 1967. That was 3 years after their first recorded hit “She’s Not There” and a year before they released their seminal album “Odessey and Oracle” and then calling it quits. Colin said that the band was originally formed in 1961 and they just celebrated their 50th anniversary last year.
Rod Argent

I was amazed that these 60s bands, the Beatles and the Zombies, went in the Philippines at their prime and how lucky were those able to watch their shows then.

Rod Argent

It was also a night of music history class and trivia. Rod said that their album “Odessey and Oracle” which was recorded in 1967 and released a year later, didn’t sell well on its debut. “Then 12 years later it gradually picked up speed, momentum and sense.  It sells more every year now than it ever did when it first came out. (F*ck), it was a strange story,” Rod said.  He also quoted that Paul Weller’s (The Jam, Style Council) favourite album of all time is “Odessey and Oracle,” Dave Grohl’s (Foo Fighters, Nirvana) favourite song was the first tune from that album “Care of Cell 44.” He also mentioned that the Foo Fighters recorded the song “This Will Be Our Year” on their last album. Rod mentioned that he was happy for all the recognition the band was getting from new and upcoming bands in the US and UK like the Vaccines, etc. Then after that music lecture, they played the classic “Time of the Season.”

Rod Argent
               
The Zombies also played a ballad tune titled “Miles Away” which he said a crowd favourite and a hit in the Philippines.  The audience was very elated while Colin sang it. I was moved by the song “Hold Your Head Up” with its stomping rock arrangements and the keyboard/Mellotron wizardry of Rod Argent.

Jim Rodford

Jim said that it was his 2nd time in Manila but it was already the 3rd time that the Zombies performed in the Philippines. They just played at Cebu Waterfront last October 19.

Steve Rodford

Rod also promoted their website: thezombies.net . ”But make sure you put in thezombies.net. If you just put in zombies dot net, I won’t be responsible for what you might see,” drawing laughter from the audience. 

Tom Toomey

The Zombies ended their set with the smash hit: “She’s Not There” but came back with an encore of two songs:  Summertime (My Dad’s favourite Zombies song) and How We Were Before.

The Zombies!!!
Kindly check the complete setlist here:

1)    Sticks and Stones
2)    I Love You
3)    Can’t Nobody Love You
4)    Breathe out, Breathe in
5)    I Want You Back Again
6)    Broken hearted
7)    Out of My Head
8)    She’s Coming Home
9)    The Way I Feel Inside
10)   You Really Got A Hold On Me
11)   Show Me The Way
12)   Time of the Season
13)   Miles Away
14)   I Remember When I Loved Her
15)   Old and Wise
16)   Hold Your Head Up
17)   Whenever You’re Ready
18)   Tell Her No
19)   Indication
20)   She’s Not There

Encore
21)   Summertime
22)   How We Were Before



It was my first time to watch a 60’s era band and I was blown away! Colin still got his voice and still manages to remember every lyrics compared to other 80s new wave bands whose vocalists need some lyric sheets! I checked that there were no teleprompters in front of the stage. Collin is a tall guy and looks classy on the stage.  Rod was very energetic and magnificent on his Mellotron playing skills (somewhat reminds me of the keyboardist Ray Manzarek of the Doors or isn’t it Ray got his skills from Rod?).  Based from what I saw, Rod is the musical director of the band and the driving force behind the Zombies.  And I cannot believe that I also saw ¼ of the band The Kinks in the presence of Jim Rodford. It was indeed an awesome night! What I also observed is that they extended their songs from the original 2 minute song to a 5 minute jam. They did that by incorporating mellotron adlibs in the middle of the song.


Signed Old School Concert Poster of the Zombies

It was my second time inside PICC and I was glad that the building still looks great inside out. The concert was well attended and notable guests included former First Lady Imelda Marcos (whom got a special mention from Colin), former chief Justice Renato Corona, and sports analysist Quinito Henson.


Watching the Zombies live was a great nostalgic night for all music lovers, old and young. I was amazed that there were teenagers or young yuppies attended the concert and reacted when Dave Grohl’s name was mentioned by Rod. I hope they come back and play for the 4th time before the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar! (For now, I need to watch the Walking Dead’s season 3 episodes for some zombie lovin' action!)

The Zombies concert was brought to you by Red Stone Productions and Steve O’Neal Productions.

The Zombies:

Big Thanks to Steve O’ Neal Productions and Red Stone Productions!

Pictures of The Zombies merchandise sold at the venue:














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila

Deftones - To Have and to Hold