The Resurrection: The Stone Roses Live in Singapore & Hong Kong!!!



The Stone Roses: Alan 'Reni' Wren, Gary 'Mani' Mounfield, Ian Brown and John Squire.
When I first heard the news last year (18 October 2011) that the Stone Roses has reunited, I was so very happy that Ian Brown and John Squire already settled their differences for freaking 15 years of not talking to each other.

And when the news came out last April that the Stone Roses will be having a world tour plus Hong Kong and Singapore are part of the list, that great news really made me cry!


The Stone Roses (1989)
The Stone Roses are an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1983. The classic lineup consisted of vocalist Ian Brown, guitarist John Squire, bassist Gary "Mani" Mounfield, and drummer Alan "Reni" Wren.


I became a big fan of the Roses when I first heard their single, “Love Spreads” from the radio sometime late 1994 and I was hooked! The awesome rocking riff and the lyrics were really magical!

While waiting for my next class in college, I was able to catch the video of “Ten Story Love Song” from Channel V Asia in my dormitory room and I said to myself “What a great band!” Then fortunately I was able to get hold of their album “Second Coming” CD from a thrift shop near our university. I was indeed blown away!

The Stone Roses' 2nd album "Second Coming"
Based from my research at that time, the Stone Roses, formed 1988, were the pioneers of the Madchester rock scene and was a major influence for the 90’s Britpop band Oasis, Charlatans, etc. I found Ian Brown, (the lead singer, also called with the moniker “King Monkey”), very cool singer and great lyricist. The guitar riffs of John Squire were undeniably beast and thought that the Fender ‘Squire’ guitar was named after him. The groovy bass of Mani and the cool beats of Reni were also superb based from my review of the Second Coming album (MP3s are not yet born at that time!)

I was trying to search for any albums by the band at records shops but no avail. I settled for “The Seahorses - Do It Yourself” album CD which features John Squire’s guitar work. The Seahorses was the band John built after his departure with the Stone Roses. I was also aware of Ian Brown’s collaboration with DJ super duo UNKLE ("Be There”) and his solo works (“FEAR” “Whispers” etc.) from radio airplays and music videos played on MTV Classics.

John Squire's The Seahorses - "Do It Yourself" CD
While working at Tower Records then, I was able to get hold of their “The Very Best Of” album, and I was surprised that I recognized the song “Made of Stone” and it was one of the most memorable songs that radio station 89 DMZ played on their Sunday New Wave program when I was in my grade school years in the early 90s (most probably 1990-1991 before the grunge era came). I really remembered the sad feel of the tune and the catchy chorus of the song but I was not able to remember the artist and the song title until I was able to play that CD. I didn’t know I was a fan for 22 years!

The Very Best Of the Stone Roses CD
Then I was able to hunt down cassette tapes of “Turns into Stone” and the self-titled 1989 album in record bar sales. “I Wanna Be Adored” was the best album opener and has the most climatic opening I had ever heard then. The lyrics were minimal but really intriguing: “I don’t have to sell my soul, he’s already in me.” You do not know if the lyrics are religious or evil in a way but somewhat controversial.  “I Am the Resurrection” had also religiously related lyrics but the jam at the end was excellent. The self-titled album was a gem and one of the best albums I own.

self-titled album The Stone Roses (1989)


'Turns into Stone'
I was so infatuated with the Stone Roses at that time that I had made a shirt with the name of the band inscribed on the chest.  I was also able to watch “I Wanna Be Adored” music video from a local music TV station and decided to look for a DVD copy of their videos and luckily I was able to get one. I also bought Ian Brown’s music video collection DVD.

A better understanding of the history of the band was supplied to me after I was able to purchase an exclusive NME magazine special UNCUT: the Madchester scene featuring the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, etc.

NME UNCUT magazine Madchester with Ian Brown at the cover; with my  Stone Roses  CDs/tapes/postcards
A soul searching travel to Singapore last August 2010 unexpectedly led me to a music festival that featured Ian Brown! Before I left Manila, I was already aware of the Singfest (Singapore Festival) but a devastating typhoon destroyed the rooftop of our house and we were out of electricity and cable TV for a week. And I was due to fly a week after. Little I had known that the producers included Ian Brown in the line-up for he was doing a South East Asian tour then. I feel sorry to myself that I was not able bring my Stone Roses memorabilia. I got the information when I was already in Singapore. I was able to watch the concert and got the privilege to interview Ian Brown. I cannot believe my eyes that Ian is sitting in front of me! And he was the very first artist that I ever interviewed face to face! I was the first one to greet him and told him that he still got swagger in him and he appreciated my compliment.  I prepared relevant questions and I did not push for any reunion questions then because I knew he and John still had bad blood in between them when Ian answered my question about his current relationship with his former band mates. He said that he has not yet spoken with John for 15 years and he left the band April 1st (Fools Gold huh? J). I was in cloud 9 after the media interview and he told me that he hopes to see me one day! I do really believe he was happy with the questions I asked him because of that comment from him. I was happy I was able to sport my Adidas jacket in tribute for him. I was able to get an autograph and picture with the King Monkey! Please check my actual interview video here:

The stretch from 1999 up to now, majority of my music playing is concentrated to only two 80’s bands, My Bloody Valentine and the Stone Roses. It was cool that Mani played bass for the band Primal Scream after the Stone Roses spilt up and had Kevin Shields of MBV do some guitar and producer work for Primal Scream. For the past 2 years, I was excited that 2 of my favourite bands were already reunited, doing tours and recording for a new album. And now, MBV’s Debbie Googe will do bass duties for Primal Scream as Mani’s replacement while Stone Roses is on world tour mode.


the Author with Ian Brown (Singfest, Aug 5  2010)
And I hope I will be able to meet not only Ian but the whole band as well because I thought that the Stone Roses reuniting was just only a dream for a fan like me, but now it was an answered prayer! Watching them live will be the most spectacular event in my life! I eat, breathe and live the Stone Roses!


The Stone Roses (Oct 2011)
The Stone Roses Live in Singapore
Date: 22nd July 2012 (Sunday)
Venue: Singapore Indoor Stadium
Prices: S$128 (standing), S$148, S$128, S$68 (seated) – excluding SISTIC fee
Tickets: Sistic
Booking Hotline: (+65) 6348-5555
***
The Stone Roses Live in Hongkong
Date: 24th July 2012 (Tue) 8PM
Venue: AsiaWorld Expo - Arena
Prices: Reserve A - $988,B - $888, C - $688, D - $388 
Tickets: http://www.hkticketing.com/eng/
Booking Hotline: 31 288 288 (10AM - 8PM Daily)


Stone Roses:
Official Website: http://www.thestoneroses.org 
Facebook: The Stone Roses
Twitter: @thestoneroses 


This awesome event is brought to you by Lushington Entertainments Ltd.
Official Website: http://www.lushington.com
Facebook: Lushington Entertainments
Twitter: @LushEnts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila

Deftones - To Have and to Hold