The Cranberries - Live in Manila


Boys and girls, are you ready for a rocking night with The Cranberries?



Back in High School, when the single ‘Linger’ came out, it was one of the songs that I liked to play on guitars and had some high school girl friends sing it. We had joked about changing the lyrics “Do you have to use your finger?” haha.

But when the song “Dreams” came out, it was a different feeling. I first saw the music video from Americas Top 10 by Casey Casem and it was the perfect dream alternative rock song I’ve ever heard! That song has convinced me to purchase their cassette album.  I remember that the album was reissued because it failed to chart good in the Billboard. The second release of “Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We?”  was a commercial success. This stamped the Cranberries as the next big Irish rock band next to U2. The guitar delays somewhat translate to the Edge’s guitar playing.

Then came the hard pounding heavy tuned song “Zombie” from their second album “No Need to Argue.”  
The song catapulted them to rock stardom. It was a war protest song which was complemented by its music video.  I remember it was one of the favourite songs of my classmate and we used to sing this when our teacher punishes us when we are late on his class. We sang it whole heartedly with the squeals of ‘Zombie he he ho ho…

“Zombie” I believe is one of the Filipino videoke song favourites. While I am writing this, our neighbour is singing Zombie in their videoke machine! Haha. It is also one of my favourite videoke songs.
“Ode to my Family” was also a hit and also an acoustic guitar favourite.

In my bum days watching MTV in the wee hours of the morning, I remember that ‘Salvation’ from the “To the Faithful Departed” album was in heavy rotation and quite disturbed by the clown in the video. It reminds me of the movie ‘It’ written by Stephen King. Well the song tackles about drug addiction.

But the song that stuck me in my heart is “When You’re Gone.”  The song is about mortality, missing someone. The Doo-woop and melancholia somewhat jived and was very touching. I remember this is their tribute song for their music icons who have died, Kurt Cobain, John Lennon,  etc.

While doing some CD hunting, I was able to find a copy of “To the Faithful Departed.”

I was in first year college when” Bury the Hatchet” came out. Free to Decide was the carrier. Dolores still has this bittersweet singing.  The album also contains the hit songs “Promises”, “Animal Instinct” and “Just My Imagination.” Like “Salvation”, “Promises” provided another spooky video.

The last catchy song I had heard from the band was “Analyse” from “Wake Up and Smell the Coffee” which still provided the bittersweet pop sensibilities approach of the band.

So when I found out that they will have a concert last year in Singapore, I was actually planning to go there to watch them but some important matters arises and eventually I was not able to watch them. I was not aware that they already had a concert here in the Philippines and found about it months or a year after their concert and I was pretty disappointed. I believe I was not a heavy internet user wayback then.

When the news came out that they will have a show here in Manila on April 10, 2012, I was thankful that my prayers were answered!  I know that this will be a sing a long concert for the audience and Dolores and the rest of the crew will definitely enjoy their stay.

I was trying to hunt all my cassettes and CDs but most of them were already been destroyed by Typhoon Ondoy and I lost my cassette tapes, including all the early cassette albums.

But I was able to check that I still have the album “To the Faithful Departed”  in CD and cassette. I hope I can have these signed by the band.

I already released a setlist on this link regarding the possible songs that the Cranberries will play in Araneta Coliseum.
Now I am really excited to watch the concert of one of the purveyors of 90s alternative rock – the Cranberries!


The Cranberries - Live in Manila is brought to you by Karpos and MIdas Promotions!
April 10, 2012, 8PM at the Smart Araneta Coliseum.
Tickets available at Ticketnet:
Patron VIP: P7000
Patron: P5,500
Lower Box: P4500
Upper Box A: P2500
Upper Box B: P1500
Gen Ad: P500 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NU 107 IS DEAD!!!

Concert Recall: Lotus Eaters Live in Manila

Deftones - To Have and to Hold